Setting the Purpose for Learning Through LEEP

Welcome to another blog based experience.  Although my past blog ventures have been limited and intended for a larger audience, this blog may be focused on one reader, myself.  It is my intention to use this blog as a collection point for ideas and writing that I am completing as I seek a PhD at Oregon State University.  Starting in the fall of 2019, I will be a full time student in the Language, Equity and Educational Policy (LEEP) program.  As a part of this process, I will be reading, writing and studying in order to create a new bit of knowledge through the dissertation process. 

Goals for My Writing:
My primary goal for this blog is an increase in the amount, quality and depth of writing that produce.  I am hoping to compose a unique piece of writing on a regular basis.  The intention is not for this writing to be publication ready but rather a rough collection of thoughts and reflections.  I intend to use this blog as a collection point of ideas and the basis for good writing habits.  The expectation for strong writing conventions will be sacrificed in favor of brainstorming ideas and building a quantity of writing to build from. 

Goals for My Learning in the LEEP Program:
Months ago, I developed and submitted a pair of essays detailing the justification for my acceptance into the LEEP program.  In reading and reflecting on these statements in the present, I clearly see the direction for my journey but not the exact pathway.  Since being accepted into the program, I have reflected more on the focus that I intend for my dissertation.  Often this focus shifts depending on whatever book that I am currently reading.  The following statement may contain the most succinct description of my intended goal for my study.

Upon completion of the LEEP program, I plan to have an empirical composition of thought that will be clearly articulated and can be leveraged into a teaching position at the university level.  I aspire to create a foundation of research that will demonstrate my value as a reflective teacher educator, prolific presenter of professional development and advisor for change within the traditional education system.  Because I do not have a fully articulated thesis prepared at this time, I have the opportunity to reflect new knowledge gained at the beginning of the program and through the relationships I build with the LEEP program professors into an original contribution of knowledge. The major asset that I have is a narrowed sense of purpose that comes from experience and the flexibility to develop my voice as a student, researcher and educator. 

This will have to serve as a beginning.  I look forward to the adventure that follows. 

NIC

Comments